Puran Poli - Stuffed Flatbread With Jaggery

During my stay in Bangalore some of my team mates used to bring Puran Poli/jaggery stuffed flatbread as a sweet whenever they come back from their native. Initially I never liked the taste. Though my husband loves it very much. So one day I thought of trying that. Well I must say after some difficulty I could make it. And I enjoyed having them. I checked on internet and finally decided to make as mentioned below. I could make 9 puran polis/jaggery stuffed flatbread with this much ingredients.



Ingredients: 9 puran poli were made with this ingredients

For Dough
1 Cup warm milk (can be more for kneading)
2.5 Cup flour

For Stuffing
1 Cup chana dal/Bengal gram
1 Cup jaggery
2 Cardamom’s powder

Ghee for cooking



Method: For stuffing boil chana dal with ½ cup of water in pressure cooker. Dal should not be cooked very much 2 whistles are enough. Drain all the water and spread it over paper towel. Let it cool completely. Once it gets cool on room temperature ground it to powder. MAKE sure that dal is really cool. Grind jaggery also to a powder and mix that in this dal powder. To this add cardamom powder as well. Make 9 balls from this mixture.

Knead a soft dough with warm water and keep aside for half n hour. After that devide the dough into 9 equal portions.

Roll out each dough ball into 3.5 inches of round and put a dal ball in the middle. Close the dough ball and now roll it into 8-9 inch diameter.

Cook this on both side until it gets brown. Repeat the same process with rest of the dough balls. And now Puran Polis are ready to eat J



It was un believable that I made them and taste was so good. How come I was away of this nice tasteJ. My husband loves it so much that he had it in dinner-breakfast and again in dinner time:D.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,